At the end of the war in Europe in May 1945 the Reichsgrenadier Division ceased to exist but the long traditions of the Hoch- und Deutschmeister were not to be lost forever.
In the Austrian Armed Forces of the Second Republic the 5th Infantry Battalion continued the tradition of the “Hoch- und Deutschmeister”. Having been the subject of several reclassifications as Infantry Battalion 4, Landwehr Stammregiment 21, Infantry Regiment 2 and Infantry Regiment Wien the active battalion was dissolved in 2007.
Since then the traditions of the Hoch- und Deutschmeister have been upheld by the Infantry battalion Wien 1 stationed in the Maria Theresien Kaserne barracks.
These soldiers belong exclusively to the militia and execute their duties in a constantly motivated and professional manner, in accordance with their motto “Deutschmeister ist und bleibt man“ (“one is, and always will be, Deutschmeister”).